Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Four Seasons Hotel (Simmonscourt Road) serves afternoon tea in the Lobby Lounge. It often includes this lovely fruit and cheese sandwich made on raisin bread. Posted for ZWT8 - these sound like lovely and yummy sandwiches.
- 1 (10 ounce) packagedried calimyrna figs, stemmed and chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 12 slices raisin bread
- 8 ounces logs plain goat cheese, such as St. Tola
- 2 tablespoons milk
- fresh chives, sprigs cut into 1/2-inch pieces, for topping
- For the Fig Spread:.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the figs, 1 1/2 cups of the water, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated and the figs are nearly tender when pierced with a fork.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor, add the lemon juice, and process for 20 to 30 seconds (adding remaining 1/4 cup of water if necessary), or until smooth. Makes about 1 3/4 cups.
- For the Sandwiches:.
- Preheat the broiler. With a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out a round from each slice of bread. Arrange the rounds on a baking sheet and toast them under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
- In a small bowl or food processor, combine the goat cheese and milk. Whisk or blend until smooth. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle, and then pipe the cheese onto each round of bread.
- Top with a spoonful of the fig spread and garnish with 2 pieces of chives.
These were sensational!! Every last one was eaten in no time. The family is asking me to make them again tomorrow. Thanks for posting such a delicious recipe.