Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great dish for company.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 basil leaves, shredded or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten to blend
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine or 1⁄4 cup chicken stock or 1⁄4 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock or 2⁄3 cup broth
- 4 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- salt and pepper
- For chicken: Preheat oven to 350°F Pound chicken between sheets of waxed paper to thickness of 1/4 inch using meat mallet.
- Pat chicken dry.
- Combine cheese, green onions and basil in small bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread cheese mixture lengthwise over half of each chicken piece.
- Tuck short ends inches Roll chicken up, starting at one long side, into tight cylinders.
- Tie ends with string to secure.
- Dip chicken in egg, allowing excess to drip into bowl.
- Roll in breadcrumbs, shaking off excess.
- Place chicken in 8-inch square baking dish.
- Pour 2 tablespoons melted butter over.
- Bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- For sauce: Melt 1/4 cup butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until tender.
- Add wine and boil 3 minutes.
- Add stock and boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and swirl in 4 tablespoons cold butter 1 piece at a time.
- Season sauce with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve immediately, passing sauce separately.