Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 1⁄4 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 cinnamon sticks (1-inch long)
- 6 cloves
- 3⁄8 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 3⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 1⁄2 dried hot red chilies
- 3 cups fresh coconut, grated
- 1 1⁄2 ginger cubes, 1 inch cubed, chopped
- 9 cloves garlic
- 3⁄4 hot green chili pepper (fresh)
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 medium onions, minced
- 1⁄3 lb chicken parts, skinned
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- Put the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, nutmeg and red chili in a small frying pan.
- Place over a medium flame.
- Now quickly 'dry-roast' the spices, stirring them frequently until they emit a very pleasant 'roasted' aroma.
- Empty the spices into a clean coffee grinder or spice grinder and grind until fine.
- Put spiced in bowl.
- Put the coconut into the same frying pan and dry roast it over a medium flame, stirring all the time.
- The coconut should pick up lots of brown flecks and also smell roasted.
- Put the coconut in the bowl with the other dry roasted spices.
- Put the garlic, ginger, and green chili into the container of an electric blender, along with some water.
- Blend until you have a paste.
- Heat the oil in a 10-12 inch frying pan or saute pan over a medium high flame.
- When hot put in the onions.
- Stir and fry them until they pick up brown spots.
- Now pour in the garlic-ginger mixture and stir once.
- Turn heat to medium.
- Put in the chicken pieces, salt, as well as the spice coconut mixture in the bowl.
- Stir and fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes or until it loses its pinkness and turn heat to low, and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Stir a few times during this cooking period, making sure that you turn over each piece of chicken so that it gets evenly colored.