Recipe by TXOLDHAM
Authored by a chef at Central Market. Serve with Jasmine rice. Time to make is estimated.
Top Review by windhorse23
Easy to make, which is always a plus. I didn't really change anything, just increased the ingredients a little. It didn't make much. I can't see how this could serve six people. I served it with brown rice. I was worried that it wouldn't be spicy enough, but it had a good kick. I did add the cilantro, and I wish I hadn't. I'll probably make this again with some tweaking.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped to small dice
- 1 cup roma tomato, chopped to small dice
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In spice grinder or small food processor, combine cumin seed, cloves, red pepper flakes, ground cinnamon, turmeric and black pepper and grind until fine.
- Combine spice mixture with jalapeno, garlic, ginger and malt vinegar and whisk into a paste.
- Heat olive oil in saute pan. Add onion and cook until it begins to turn golden brown. Add roma tomatoes and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spice paste and cook anothr 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until shrimp are done, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add salt and cilantro.
- Serve immediately with jasmine rice.