Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve plump prawns in a fragrant coconut curry sauce with perfect fluffy rice in this fabulous Goan-inspired recipe.
For the marinade
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 75 ml water
For the curry
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 500 g raw tiger shrimp, peeled
For the rice
- 450 g basmati rice
- 4 cardamom pods
- 8 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 600 ml water
- Mix together all of the marinade ingredients to create a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add the onion and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in the spice paste.
- Fry over a gentle heat for 4-5 minutes, until the spices are aromatic.
- Stir in the coconut milk and prawns. Simmer for 5-6 minutes, until the prawns are cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
- In the meantime, wash the rice in several changes of cold water, to get rid of any excess starch.
- Place the rice in a saucepan with the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick and salt. Pour in the water.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 10 minutes. Do not remove the lid during the cooking time. Leave the rice to stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Serve the prawn curry and rice together, with naan bread if desired.
Wow! Wow! Wow!
This is truly wonderful!! Served it to my family and there was not a drip left on their plates!
I made the sauce earlier the day. 10 mins before serving I brought it to a boil and added the shrimp.
This one is a HUGE winner!!!