Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Simply this is the dish for you if you like mussels. I gave this recipe to my friend's restaurant in Belgium, they now serve this tasty dish. Very much a dig in and share dish makes a wonderful starter or supper dish. You could serve with chips as they do in Belgium. I have given this as a dish for four, in our house that means one, as the dish is so good.
- 2 lbs fresh mussels, scrubbed and bearded
- 15 ounces boiling water
- 2 cups creamed coconut
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
- Dissolve the coconut in the boiling water.
- In a pan heat the oil and fry the onion till just golden brown. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, coriander and salt and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut water and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the mussels, cover the pan and cook for about 5 mins or until the mussels open.
- Serve garnished with the coriander leaves.
- NOTE. discard any mussel that does not open.