Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I guess this is just a glorified chunky guacamole, but my, it is good. Served at Tabla Bread Bar and featuring in the 2006 Saveur 100, this is an adaptation of a recipe by Melissa Clark via Yoga Journal. You can serve this over mixed greens as a salad, with pita bread as a dip, with any Goan-style curry as a side dish, or any other way you can dream up. It's highly versatile. Cooking time includes time sitting in the fridge (the salad, not the chef).
- 4 ripe avocados, coarsely cubed
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 15 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves removed and finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place all ingredients except olive oil in bowl and toss gently to combine.
- Taste and add more cayenne or salt and pepper if required.
- Add olive oil and toss again. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours to allow the flavours to develop.
This was great in every way; lovely, complex tastes and easy to throw together. Thank you!
We love this salad! I made it exactly as written except I had to use cherry tomatoes as our store was out of grape tomatoes. Thanks Miss Olivia!
This made a great light supper for my husband and I. I halved the recipe, using green onions(so it would be a milder onion flavor for my DH), and left out the coriander(ran out). I added parsley and more cilantro. Loved it! Thanks!