Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins have everything, complex carbs, protein, fiber, and very little fat! If you have to wake up and run/jog/cycle/go to work in a hurry these muffins will help you go the distance.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons oat bran (or wheat bran)
- 1 tablespoon oat bran (or wheat bran)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed (or 3/4 c applesauce)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup dried plum, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried pineapple, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 18 muffin tins and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Separate 1 Tbsp of Oat Bran for use in next step.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk dry ingredients together being careful to eliminate any lumps of brown sugar.
- Push dry ingredients to the sides of the bowl to create a well in the center.
- Mix wet ingredients together & pour into well.
- Mix dry & wet ingredients just until moist.
- Fold in the Mix-Ins of fruit and nut(s).
- Spoon muffin batter evenly into the tins.
- Sprinkle each muffin with remaining 2 Tbsp of Oat Bran
- Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes
- Remove from tins to cooling rack immediately.
- ***You may substitute any dried chopped fruit or nut for the mix-ins.
These are some of the best bran muffins that I've ever tasted. I had five bananas that were quickly going black, so I threw them all in and left out any additional mix-ins. Delicious and perfect for a summer breakfast. My daughter and I are loving these, both for the taste and the fiber. Great recipe - thank you!