Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fast and light! This recipe from Kristina Hoeksema goes well with rice and a fresh salad.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tilapia fillets
- 2 lemons
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) packagefresh Baby Spinach
- 1 (16 ounce) jarprepared pasta sauce (your favorite marinara sauce)
- 1 (6 ounce) packagecrumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a glass baking dish, squeeze the juice of one lemon. Add the olive oil.
- Put the fillets in the dish and rub the lemon oil mixture on both sides; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Take large spoonfuls of the spinach, sauce and cheese (in that order) and place in the center of each fillet.
- Roll up each fillet and secure with a toothpick.
- Add remaining ingredients in between and on top of the fillets; and squeeze the second lemon on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
This is a delicious and easy recipe! I've made it several times now and it always gets raves.
The first time I made it my filets were too thick to roll so I just put some of the sauce/spinach/cheese mix in the bottom of the baking pan, then placed the fish on top and covered with a bit more of the sauce and spinach. That's been my method since then! I did not salt the fish as the feta is so salty. Great recipe! Thanks!
DH was ecstatic, this was a full-bodied meal even though it was sensible. For two of us, I used 3 fillets and the remainder of a jar of spaghetti sauce and spinach salad, so this also helped me clean out the refrigerator. DH is not fond of feta cheese, so I used Swiss cheese for him (provolone would also work well). I served Paula Deen's Fancy Green Beans as a side to salvage fresh green beans in time, but there was too much going on -- a war of taste, Italian vs. Mandarin (although both recipes were fantastic). So it's best to keep it simple, and serve this with a side salad, and maybe a small serving of pasta. Thanks for sharing this recipe, ~Jen~. Made for Photo Tag.
Although I did make changes to the recipe I was very happy with the results. It was quick, easy, and with a salad and fruit made a nice meal. My change was to use a garlic & herb alfredo jarred sauce instead of marinara. I also added cracked black pepper. Thank you for sharing your recipe! Made for ZWT4.