Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Seattle P-I food editor John Owens
- 4 lbs spareribs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- Tabasco sauce (dash)
- lemon juice (dash)
- Place some aluminum foil in a shallow oven pan. Top with a rack, then toss on the ribs. Bake 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- While the ribs are cooking combine the sugar, mustard, salt, pepper, ginger, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir to combine, then add the tomato sauce, vinegar, Tabasco, onion, garlic and lemon juice. Stir again, bringing to a boil then reduce heat to warm.
- After the initial 45 minute cooking, pour off any grease.Turn the ribs meaty side down. Paint the top with sauce then return pan to oven for 30 minute Remove, flip the ribs meaty side up and cover liberally with sauce. Return to oven for 1 hour. Separate ribs and pour remaining sauce over the ribs. Serve with lots of napkins.
Just fabulous! DS is home, and so I doubled the recipe. Took a pic but haven't uploaded....was hoping there would be some leftovers I could photograph when we had daylight, but these are so good he ate them all! The best baked ribs I've had yet. I did add a bit of greek seasoning to the ribs when I first put them in the oven, but other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. The sauce was a hit. Thanks for sharing! Made for Football Tag 2011.
THIS my friend, most certainly IS an excellent recipe! However, small glitch...in the prep it calls to add tabasco and lemon juice into the tomato sauce mixture...but the amounts are not listed in the ingredients. So I put a dash of both in. It was FABULOUS! A keeper for sure! Never made them this way, but is now one of my favorites! To die for! Thank you SO much for sharing!!!! xo LA :-)