Recipe by hannahactually
This is a healthy gnocchi with added flavors for a delicious, guiltless meal. From Fresh Finesse.
- 12 1⁄4 ounces mashed yellow potatoes (about 6 potatoes)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 14 ounces low-sodium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- GNOCCHI: When mashed potato has cooled slightly, add the lightly beaten egg and gradually add the flour.
- To make gnocchi, knead the potato mixture into a ball and separate into 6 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 1/2-inch thick roll and cut into small pieces. Cook in batches in boiling salted water for 10 to 15 minutes. When the gnocchi float to the surface they are ready.
- SAUCE: While the gnocchi is cooking, sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in wine, tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, brown sugar and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve sauce over cooked gnocchi.
- To serve, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese, if desired.