1 hr 5 mins
Epi Curious's Note:
Published in the September 2007 restaurant issue of Bon Appetit, this recipe is from a popular Napa Valley restaurant, Cook St. Helena. this makes 6 first course or 4 main course servings.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4-2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 inch cubes (about 5 medium)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided (1-1/4 sticks)
- 1/2 cup fresh sage, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel, finely grated (packed)
- 1Steam potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Cool slightly, about 10 minutes, then mash until smooth. Mix in next 4 ingredients. Add yolk; mix until blended. Gradually mix in 1 cup flour. Knead until blended and smooth, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls if very moist, about 2 minutes.
- 2Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll 1 piece on lightly floured surface into 24 inch-long rope. Cut rope into 1-inch pieces. Holding gnocchi in palm, roll whisk over each to form indentations. Transfer gnocchi to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 3Cook 8 tablespoons butter in medium skillet over medium-high heat until butter begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add sage and lemon peel. Season with salt and pepper; set sauce aside.
- 4Meanwhile, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet; set aside. Working in 2 batches, cook gnocchi in large pot of boiling salted water until they float to the surface, then cook 1 minute longer. Using slotted spoon, transfer gnocchi to skillet with unseasoned melted butter. Saute all gnocchi over medium-low heat until beginning to brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- 5DO AHEAD: Gnocchi and sage brown butter sauce can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
- 6Pour sage brown butter sauce over gnocchi; toss to coat and warm through, about 1 minute. Divide equally among bowls and serve.
- 7Note: These gnocchi are also delicious with a creamy Gorgonzola cheese sauce. Stir 1 cup cream and 2 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola in a medium saucepan until smooth. Add cooked browned gnocchi and toss to warm through.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gnocchi With Sage Brown Butter Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 602.8
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 139.7 mg
- Sodium 1282.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 13.4 g