1/1 Photo of Gnocchi With Mornay Cheese Sauce
This recipe is not the traditional gnocchi as it does not contain potatoes, but uses flour and eggs. This recipe includes instructions for your choice of either boiling the gnocchi, or baking it with the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (for topping)
- 1TO MAKE MORNAY SAUCE: Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and stir for one minute. Add in 2 cups milk. Cook until thickened.
- 2Whisk in 3/4 cream to thin sauce and add 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3TO MAKE GNOCCHI: In medium saucepan melt 1/3 cup butter in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk. When butter has melted, season with salt and pepper. Remove saucepan from heat and add in 1 cup all purpose flour all at once. Whisk until smooth.
- 4Return saucepan to heat and, with a wooden spoon, cook until the mixture sizzles and comes away from the sides of the pan. (This is called a panade). Transfer to a large bowl and immediately cover surface with plastic wrap so that a skin does not form. Cool to room temperature.
- 5When mixture has cooled, add the eggs, one at a time. Do not add the next egg until the first is entirely absorbed. When the eggs have been fully incorporated add 3 1/2 ounces grated Gruyere cheese.
- 6BOILED VERSION: Bring water to a boil. Fill a pastry bag, fitted with a 3/4 inch tip with gnocchi mixture. Rest metal tip of pastry bag on edge of pan and press the dough out. As 1/2 inch of gnocchi dough emerges, cut with a knife or scissors and let the dough fall into the water.
- 7Do in batches of 20 or 30. Cook for 4-5 minutes, then remove gnocchi to a cloth towel with a slotted spoon (gnocchi will deflate as they cool). Serve sauce over cooked gnocchi.
- 8BAKED VERSION: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put some Mornay on bottom of a shallow 9x13 casserole dish. Fill a pastry bag, fitted with a 3/4 inch tip with gnocchi mixture. As 1/2 inch of gnocchi dough emerges, cut with a knife or scissors. Arrange gnocchi in one or, at most, two layers.
- 9Spread remaining sauce over top, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle top with 1/4 cup grated Gruyere. Bake for 45 minutes or until gnocchi have swollen up again and absorbed sauce. Serve immediately before gnocchi deflate.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gnocchi With Mornay Cheese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (393 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 832.0
- Calories from Fat 550
- Total Fat 61.1 g
- Saturated Fat 36.2 g
- Cholesterol 391.7 mg
- Sodium 895.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 32.3 g