This is very tasty, simple and quick to make (what more can anyone ask for?). The recipe uses bought gnocchi, but you could always make your own if you have time on your hands! The original recipe comes from the latest Sainsbury's magazine (April 2005 issue), but I've tweaked it a bit. It'll take plenty more tweaking to suit your preferences too, just choose your favorite seasoning and herbs. This recipe will feed two very hungry adults (no need for a pudding!), but it also makes enough for 4 reasonably sized smaller servings. A good week-night meat-free supper dish that you can serve with a simple green salad. Hope you enjoy it.
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled deseeded and cut into 1/2 inch chunks (1 small or 1/2 average sized squash will yield this amount)
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes (from a jar of semi-dried tomatoes in olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons oil, from the jar or 2 tablespoons plain olive oil
- 1 (500 g) packageof fresh gnocchi
- 100 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shavings
- seasoning (suggestions given in the instructions) or herbs, of your choice (suggestions given in the instructions)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F, 220 degrees C, gas mark 7.
- Toss the squash and oil together in large ovenproof dish, add your seasoning and herbs (a good grind of black pepper works well with 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon of fresh rosemary - I don't think this needs salt so I suggest you go easy if you're adding salt too) and mix well.
- Place the dish on a high shelf in the oven and roast for about 20 minutes until the squash is tender and beginning to brown at the edges: then preheat your grill to high.
- Cook the gnocchi according to the pack instructions (the gnocchi will only take a few minutes to prepare so do this towards the end of the roasting time); drain gnocchi and add to the squash.
- Mix the semi-dried tomatoes with the squash, scatter the feta cheese evenly over the dish then do the same with the parmesan shavings.
- Place under the grill and cook until the cheeses melts and begins to bubble: serve immediately.