Recipe by Sarah_Jayne
This sounds good for anybody looking for a quick and tasty meal. It is vegetarian too which is always great in my books. I originally found this recipe in the September 2008 copy of the BBC Good Food Magazine. The recipe states that the dish can be frozen for up to a month. It says to just defrost and bake in a medium oven for 20 - 30 minutes until piping hot.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
We adore gnocchi, and this was such a good way to enjoy it! definitely a make-again. I have never cooked the gnocchi in the sauce before, I usually cook it in a pan of boiling water for about 7 - 10 minutes, until the gnocchi float to the top, and then combine them with the sauce. I used your method and it worked well, but I did add about 1/2 cup of extra water to the sauce, since the gnocchi seemed to be absorbing too much liquid and making the whole thing stick to the bottom of the pot. That 1/2 cup seemed to be just enough. I made the sauce exactly as stated, but I did add a tiny pinch of sugar, after tasting, I always add a pinch to my own tomato sauce to take away that slight acidity, and I guess I am used to it, I felt it was needed! personal taste! I used my own fresh basil from the garden. Quickly prepared, this was excellent, just the best comfort food, thank you so much for sharing, Sarah-Jayne. Made for Veg*n swap#17
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 17 1⁄2 ounces gnocchi
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, torn
- 4 1⁄2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into chunks
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat grill / broiler to high.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then soften the onion and pepper for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, fry for 1 minute, tip in the tomatoes and gnocchi, then bring to simmer.
- Bubble for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until gnocchi is soft and the sauce has thickened.
- Season, stir through the basil, then transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
- Scatter with the mozzarella, then grill / broil for 5 to 6 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
- This dish can be frozen for up to a month. Just defrost and bake in a medium oven for 20 - 30 minutes until piping hot.