Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nothing better than homemade. It takes a bit of work, but it's worth.
- 1⁄2 kg peeled potato, boiled
- 1 teaspoon butter (generous, about 50grs.)
- 1 egg, battered
- 3⁄4 cup plain flour
- pepper (optional)
- salt (to taste)
- tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated or 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Mash potatoes add salt, pepper, butter, egg, mix well.
- Add flour slowly until it start becoming a consistent dough, (tip. just try and make a little ball if it stays firm it means that is ready and no more flower is needed, to make sure in a small bowl, boil some water and place the ball in it, if it doesn't break up and floats fairly quickly it means that the dough is ready to cook).
- Now you are ready to make your own homemade gnocchis.
- On a table spread some flour, get some dough (about the size of a golf ball) and roll it to make it look like a long sausage about 0.375 inch or 10mm in diameter, with a knife cut in leangth of about 3/4 inch or 15mm long, keep them separated if not they'll stick together.
- Same process for the rest of the dough.
- In a large pan, boil water and cook (make sure not to put to many of them at the same time, as the water has to be boiling all the time),once they are floating allow about 30 seconds cooking and remove,place in a colander and rinse, continue the same process with the rest.
- Place them in a baking dish with the Tomato Sauce Cook tomato with ingredients in medium heat for 25 minutes (stir from time to time) Add sauce to gnocchis, spread cheese on top and place in heated oven (120C degrees or 250F degrees) until cheese melts.
- Serve hot.