Recipe by dale!
Italian style baked dish. Great for pot luck and vegetarian meals.
Top Review by tealeaf
I just had to make this recipe, it sounded so good. I used store-bought gnocchi and everybody loved it. Will definatly make this again. I think it would be nice with some sliced mushrooms in it too. I will try that next time.
- 907.18 g home-made or bought gnocchi
- 1 small onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery rib
- 1247.37 g canned, peeled tomatoes
- 42.52 g butter
- salt and pepper
- 226.79 g cream
- 0.25 ml ground nutmeg
- parsley (for sprinkling)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the onion, carrot and celery.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan or pot and add the onion, carrot and celery.
- Cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 fahrenheit (210 celsius).
- Add the tomatoes,including the juice,to the pan along with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes until thickened.
- Don't forget to stir occasionally.
- Put in the blender and puree.
- Pour it back into the pan, remove from the heat and stir in cream and nutmeg.
- Season to taste.
- Place the gnocchi in a large baking dish and cover with the sauce. (Precook the gnocchi to package directions if you are using storebought gnocchi.)
- Bake in preheated oven until very hot and starting to brown on top.
- About 7-10 minutes.
- Serve immediatly, sprinkled with parsley.
- The sauce can be made a day ahead up until adding the cream.
- Only add the cream and bake just before serving.
- This makes a great and very tasty vegetarian dish or side dish.
- I like to make it with spinach gnocchi.
- Serve with bread to mop up the delicious sauce.