Recipe by Your Gourmet Girlfriend
This light sauce perfectly accompanies the delicious potato dumplings. Have two servings without the guilt :} A little work but well worth it.
for the gnocchi
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- parmigiano-reggiano cheese, fresh and shaved
now the tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 29 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the sauce:.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil a few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except basil and simmer about 1 hour.
- Add basil just before serving.
- Now the Gnocchi:.
- Wash potatoes in skin and boil 10-20 minutes (depends how big they are) in large pot until done (like mashed potatoes).
- Drain and let cool a little.
- Remove peels and mash.
- Stir in flour, butter, salt and egg making a stiff dough.
- Transfer to floured surface and knead a couple minutes until smooth.
- Roll dough into 3/4 inch pieces and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Push each gently with fork prongs (helps hold the sauce).
- Drop into salted boiling water.
- Cook until they float.
- Transfer to serving dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Don't forget the basil.
- Top with sauce.