Recipe by MarieRynr
This gratin makes a rich and creamy accompaniment to any roast or grilled meat or fowl. The gnocchi can be made in advance, frozen in a well sealed plastic bag for several weeks, popped in boiling water while still frozen, and assembled with the garlic infused cream and Parmesan just before baking.
- 1 lb potato, unpeeled
- 1 1⁄2 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- additional flour, for dusting surface
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
For Garlic Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed with a knife
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water.
- Peel and pass through a ricer.
- While the potatoes are still warm, stir in the egg yolks, flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- On a floured surface, roll the mixture into 1 inch thick logs.
- Cut the logs into 1 inch pieces; stand each piece on end and flatten with the palm of your hand into 1/4 inch thick disks.
- Blanch the gnocchi a few at a time in boiling salted water until they rise to the surface.
- Plunge them into a bowl of ice water.
- Drain and pat dry.
- Bring the cream and garlic to a boil, (I do this while the potatoes are boiling).
- Remove from the heat and let stand for at least 1/2 hour.
- Strain through a sieve and keep warm until ready to assemble the dish.
- In a buttered gratin dish, layer the gnocchi, cheese and hot garlic cream, finishing with cream and cheese.
- Bake for 35 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.