Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I updated this recipe to fit my tastes. My friends called it adult "mac and cheese". I used Gnocchi that I had made and frozen, but store bought can be used, as well.
- 2 lbs gnocchi, cooked to package instructions
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 lb parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons plain fine dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degees.
- In a small sauce pan over med heat, warm the milk.
- In a med sauce pan over med low heat add the butter.
- When the butter has melted, add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes, to make a roux.
- Remove from heat and slowly add the hot milk, while whisking constantly.
- Add the salt, and return to med heat and cook, stiring constantly, until the sauce is smooth and thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Place half the cooked Gnocchi into a baking dish.
- Top with half of the white sauce and half the cheese.
- Place the other half of the Gnocchi into baking dish.
- Top with the remaining sauce and remaining cheese.
- Cut the remaining butter (1TBS) into small bits and pat them over the sauce.
- Sprinkle top evenly with the bread crumbs.
- Bake the gratin until the sauce is bubbling around the edges, and the top is golden brown, about 30 minute.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minute.
I made homemade Gnocchi #298521 and served this with Honey-Mustard Pork Chops #446597. I made half the recipe, and topped it with Panko crumbs. Very adult "mac and cheese". Thanks for posting Barbie. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2011.
We all enjoyed this as a side dish with pork chops. It really is an adult mac and cheese. I heated the milk slowly in the microwave while making the sauce. It fit in a 9x9 baking dish perfectly. Easy and tasty- thanks for sharing. Made for PAC Fall 2009
Great gnocchi recipe!! I only made 1/2 of the recipe to serve 3. I didn't use homemade as I had some that I bought from Sam's Club - Colavita Brand. This would be great to serve for company as you could make this ahead of time and put in the refrigerator. Made for Spring PAC 09. Thanks for sharing Cul_de_Sac_Barbie.