Recipe by Cul_de_sac_Barbie
I updated this recipe to fit my tastes. My friends called it adult "mac and cheese". I used Gnocchi that I had made and frozen, but store bought can be used, as well.
Top Review by ElaineAnn
I made homemade Gnocchi #298521 and served this with Honey-Mustard Pork Chops #446597. I made half the recipe, and topped it with Panko crumbs. Very adult "mac and cheese". Thanks for posting Barbie. Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2011.
- 2 lbs gnocchi, cooked to package instructions
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 lb parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons plain fine dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degees.
- In a small sauce pan over med heat, warm the milk.
- In a med sauce pan over med low heat add the butter.
- When the butter has melted, add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes, to make a roux.
- Remove from heat and slowly add the hot milk, while whisking constantly.
- Add the salt, and return to med heat and cook, stiring constantly, until the sauce is smooth and thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Place half the cooked Gnocchi into a baking dish.
- Top with half of the white sauce and half the cheese.
- Place the other half of the Gnocchi into baking dish.
- Top with the remaining sauce and remaining cheese.
- Cut the remaining butter (1TBS) into small bits and pat them over the sauce.
- Sprinkle top evenly with the bread crumbs.
- Bake the gratin until the sauce is bubbling around the edges, and the top is golden brown, about 30 minute.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minute.