1/1 Photo of Gnocchi Di Susine (Plum Gnocchi)
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
These sweet gnocchi from Croatia, one of Lidia Bastianich's favorite childhood treats, can also be made with whole, ripe, pitted Italian prune-plums. Recipe originally from Saveur, 1999. Cooking time includes time for cooling potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 2Cook potatoes, partially covered, until tender, about 35 minutes.
- 3Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle (but not too long: The hotter potatoes are when peeled and riced, the lighter gnocchi will be).
- 4Peel potatoes, then press through a potato ricer onto a clean surface.
- 5Spread in a thin layer to cool completely.
- 6Gather potatoes into a mound, form a well, add egg, salt, and nutmeg, and beat together.
- 7Knead dough, gradually adding about 1 1/2 cups flour, until smooth and slightly sticky.
- 8Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/4'' thick.
- 9Using a 4'' round cookie cutter or a glass, cut out 30 circles.
- 10Gather scraps together to roll out again, if necessary.
- 11To fill gnocchi, cut plums into 30 3/4'' pieces.
- 12Place a dough circle in palm of your hand, place a piece of plum in center, then sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoons sugar.
- 13Gather dough up and around plum and press to seal, pinching dough together if it tears. Shape into a smooth, even ball, then place on a lightly floured tray.
- 14Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 15Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 16Add bread crumbs and toast, stirring constantly, until deep golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- 17Remove from heat and add cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- 18Cook gnocchi in small batches (so that they don't touch) in a large pot of boiling water over high heat.
- 19Stir gently to prevent sticking and cook until dough is tender and slightly translucent, about 20 minutes.
- 20Lift gnocchi from boiling water with a slotted spoon, drain well, then roll each in the bread crumbs to coat well.
- 21Arrange on a serving platter and sprinkle with any remaining bread crumbs.
- 22Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gnocchi Di Susine (Plum Gnocchi)
Serving Size: 1 (2080 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.8
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.1 mg
- Sodium 151.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 2.8 g