Recipe by JustJanS
From the Australian Magazine Super Food Ideas. The recipe uses Swiss cheese, but I used a mix of tasty, Parmesan and mozzarella. Even my husband who claims not to like gnocchi enjoyed this,
Top Review by NessaContessa
We loved this recipe! I did change quite a few things only because I couldn't find a recipe to fit my craving. I used spicy pork sausage and added diced green peppers. I didn't need oil and I also drained th browned sausage. I also used a mix of shredded parmesan and torn mozzarella. It was delicious! I will definitely try it again the way the recipe called for except the swiss because I'm not a big fan.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 750 g lean ground beef (mince)
- 600 ml italian pasta sauce
- 625 g fresh gnocchi
- 150 g swiss cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200c. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat; add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add beef and cook, stirring to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add pasta sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook gnocchi partially (about 3 minutes should do) then drain. Gnocchi will finish cooking in the oven!
- Spoon meat sauce into a baking dish (6cm deep, 24X30cm base).
- Top with gnocchi, sprinkle with cheese, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and browning and sauce bubbling at edges.