Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the Australian Magazine Super Food Ideas. The recipe uses Swiss cheese, but I used a mix of tasty, Parmesan and mozzarella. Even my husband who claims not to like gnocchi enjoyed this,
- Preheat oven to 200c. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat; add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add beef and cook, stirring to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add pasta sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook gnocchi partially (about 3 minutes should do) then drain. Gnocchi will finish cooking in the oven!
- Spoon meat sauce into a baking dish (6cm deep, 24X30cm base).
- Top with gnocchi, sprinkle with cheese, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and browning and sauce bubbling at edges.
We loved this recipe! I did change quite a few things only because I couldn't find a recipe to fit my craving. I used spicy pork sausage and added diced green peppers. I didn't need oil and I also drained th browned sausage. I also used a mix of shredded parmesan and torn mozzarella. It was delicious! I will definitely try it again the way the recipe called for except the swiss because I'm not a big fan.
This was definitely comfort food. I think it would be better with Italian sausage (hot variety) and adding peppers and mushrooms with the onions. I would say serves 6-8 easily.
This was our first gnocchi ever, and we were pleased. This made a hearty, satisfying meal that we'll look forward to again when it gets cold outside. The onions cooking made the house smell amazing! I used a jar (1 pound, 10 ounces, I think) of Ragu Onion and Garlic sauce, about a pound and half of meat, and about a pound and a half of prepackaged gnocchi. Went for an Italian cheese blend (2 cups), because it seemed to fit better than swiss. Baked in a 9x13 dish at 400 for 10-15 minutes.