Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is easy to make and yet tastes fabulous! As always, good quality mascarpone will yield a much richer flavour.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, cubed
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 lb fresh gnocchi
- 8 -10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup white breadcrumb
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the pancetta. Cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add the red onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes, or until the pancetta is cooked and the onion softened.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, sun-dried tomato paste, and mascarpone cheese. Simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the gnocchi for 1-2 minutes, until they rise to the surface. Do not overcook.
- Drain the gnocchi thoroughly and place in a large ovenproof dish (I use a 10x6).
- Add the chopped basil to the pancetta sauce mixture and stir. Pour the sauce over the gnocchi and toss gently to coat it.
- Combine the grated cheese with the breadcrumbs and scatter over the gnocchi.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
So good. Made #54858. Next time, oh yes there will be a next time, I will dice the onions and tomatoes finer. We made a 1/2 batch, thankfully because I think the 2 of us would of ate it all.
Absolutely addictive, I just wanted to keep eating this, one of the best Italian dishes I have made! I used Kittencal's Easy Gnocchi for the gnocchi and added 2 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes to regular tomato paste. I did leave out the onion as I usually don't care for onion, but it still had plenty of flavor. Thanks for posting, we will enjoy this again and again :) Made for Holiday tag.
OMG - I loved this! I made it exactly as written, except I could not find the sun-dried tomato paste, so just used regular. I will be making this again! Made for Please Review My Recipe Tag Game.