Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
So this isn't the lightest salad to start off the New Year. I admit it! BUT it IS the salad that will have everyone asking for seconds and thirds. A double helping of greens, people, doesn't that count for something?
- 1 lb packaged gnocchi
- 5 -6 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup walnut pieces
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and sizzle until red and crispy.
- Add the shallots to the bacon and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Then add the walnuts and nutmeg.
- Meanwhile drop the gnocchi into the boiling water. Cook until all the gnocchi are floating~3-4 minutes. Once the gnocchi is ready, use a slotted spoon to transfer it to the skillet.
- Add the cherries and stir. Finally add the lemon juice, honey and 2-3 Tb. of pasta water. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl. Pour the hot gnocchi mixture over the spinach and toss. Serve immediately!
- Makes 4 dinner portions, or 8 first-course portions.