Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 2 lbs baking potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 whole egg, plus
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- tomato sauce
- Boil the potatoes in their jackets, drain, peel and put through a ricer or food mill.
- While the potatoes are still warm, blend in the flour, add the egg, egg yolk, butter and salt.
- Place the potato mixture on a floured board and knead lightly; the dough will be soft.
- Roll the dough in 1" thick sticks about 10" long.
- Cut each roll into 3/4" pieces.
- Rub each piece of dough lightly over the coarse side of a cheese grater over a large pot of boiling salted water.
- Cook the gnocchi until they rise to the top of the water.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the gnocchi to a warm bowl.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, top with tomato sauce and serve.