Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
Gnocchi can be found in your grocery stores but it's a far cry from homemade. This dough is made with fresh eggs and Parmesan cheese. You can serve it with butter or your favorite white cream sauce, or a marinara sauce; all will be delicious. Note: Be sure you "dimple" each piece when preparing so that the sauce is cradled inside.
- 2 lbs idaho potatoes
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Place unpeeled potatoes in a pot of cold water and add 1 T salt.
- Cook until fork tender, but not falling apart. Drain.
- While still warm gently scrape away the skins with a fork.
- Grate the potatoes on the large holes of a box grater.
- In a separate bowl mix together grated cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- On a floured board place potatoes, making a well in the center.
- Then add the two egg yolks and cheese mixture, incorporating the potatoes using your hands.
- Place in a bowl and set aside.
- On same floured board spread out about 1/2 cup of the flour. Drop mashed potatoes directly over the flour and with your hands mix very lightly into the flour folding the mass over on itself, pressing down.
- Adding 1/2 cup flour at a time, work it into the mixture.until firm but yielding - just until it holds together. Try not to knead it or it develops too much gluten.
- To test for consistency, take a piece and roll it with your hands on a floured board into a rope 1/2 inch in diameter. If it holds together, it is ready. If not, add more flour, then test again.
- Cut the dough into 8 pieces and place in a bowl.
- Lightly flour your board and with your hands, roll each piece working it outward into a rope 1/2 inch diameter by 12-14 inches long. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Dimple each piece with your thumb or fork dipped in flour creating a crater for the sauce.
- On a lightly floured tray covered with parchment or wax paper, scatter the gnocchi and place them in the freezer. (Can keep up to a month).
- When ready to cook, bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil and add 1 Tablespoon salt.
- Drop in the frozen gnocchi and cook for 2 minutes AFTER they rise to the surface. Remove with a skimmer, shaking off excess water, and place in serving pasta bowls.
- Add your favorite sauce and serve with additional Parmesan cheese.