Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Heart healthy - these wonderful little gnocchi can be served with a sauce, fried in a small amount of oil, or cooked and served au gratin. They can even be served cold at a picnic.
- 200 g quinoa
- 80 g corn semolina
- vegetable stock
- fresh ground black pepper (optional)
- tomato sauce or cheese sauce
- green salad
- Heat the vegetable stock and pour onto the quinoa flakes. Cover, and leave to swell for about 10 minutes.
- Add the corn semolina and seasoning. Knead until the mixture becomes homogenous.
- Form into gnocchis by shaping the 'dough' into a long roll, cutting it into little sections, then rolling between the palm of your hands.
- For Vegan omit the cheese sauce or use a Vegan "cheese" sauce.
I ended up looking up my other recipes to see how to prepare quinoa when after 10 minutes, nothing much had happened. The trick is to use about double the weight of the quinoa in water and chuck the whole lot in a pot and quietly simmer until the bits separate and you have a clearish quinoa and little white swirly things.Takes about 15-20 minutes. Then you can add everything else. I fried them in a simple butter sauce and I recommend getting them on the crispy side. Being a quinoa virgin I didn't know what to expect and I certainly didn't expect my kids [3 and 6 years] to enjoy this. But they did and so did I. It's a great grain with a different taste, and this is a very easy way to prepare it.