Recipe by tinaki99
Easy and (relatively) quick to make. You can cook/steam the potatoes in advance to save time. Desiree potatoes were in the original recipe; I use any kind of potatoes.
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil/steam potatoes until tender - do not overcook. When slightly cooled down, peel, discard skins. Using potato ricer or mouli (French rotary grater) puree potatoes into bowl, season to taste with salt.
- Add flour to potatoes; using hands knead briefly until soft dough forms. If mixture is a little sticky, add a little more flour (too much flour will make gnocchi heavy and tough, while too little flour will cause gnocchi to disintegrate during cooking). Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Cut dough into 4 equal-sized pieces, using your hands gently roll each piece out to form a log about 2cm wide. Using lightly floured knife cut each log into 1.5cm-long pieces.
- Roll each gnocchi over the tines of a lightly-floured fork (the fork marks create a textured surface helping sauces to cling onto the gnocchi).
- Bring a large saucepan with water to the boil. Add 1/4 of the gnocchi. As they cook, gnocchi will rise to the surface of the water. Continue cooking gnocchi at the surface for about 10sec then remove with large slotted spoon and drain well. Repeat with remaining gnocchi.