Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this on About.com. Sounds great!
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 walnuts, coarsely ground
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 1⁄4 cups apples, peeled, cored and cut into small dice
- 1 1⁄4 cups bananas, peeled and cut into small dice
- 2 ounces brandy
- 5 1⁄4 ounces butter
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 apples, slices cut in half
- Start will all ingredients at room temperature.
- Disslove the cornflour in 1 cup of milk.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the eggs, vanilla extract, and sugar until well blended.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the ground walnuts with the brandy.
- Heat the remaining milk and butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a slow boil, whisking constantly.
- Stir in the cornflour mixture with a whisk, stir until blended.
- Add the egg mixture, stirring with the whisk until the pudding thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the lemon peel, lemon juice, chopped fruit and walnut-brandy mix.
- Pour into a large serving bowl.
- Refrigerate 3 hours to chill and set.
- Garnish with apple slices.
A very different kind of pudding! I loved the combination of the apples and bananas with the kick of the brandy along with the tartness of the lemon juice. I don't know what I did differently than Nimz, but mine set right up. Thnx for sharing your recipe, susie. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds during ZWT 6.
The flavor of this recipe is wonderful with a hint of brandy. Love the small chuncks of apple and banana. The only problem I had was that mine never set. I even let it sit for 8 hours and it was still like soft homemade icecream. The grandson loved it. He thought he was eating ice cream. Thanks