Recipe by belkathy
I found this recipe on the internet several years ago. It is quite filling and always gets requested when my brothers are visiting for the holidays. It goes well with soups and chili.
Top Review by riffraff
We enjoyed this with black eyed peas for our New Year's meal. I left out the bacon and will cut back on the oil next time, it really doesn't need so much. I baked it in a cast iron skillet for about 45-55 minutes, I lost track.
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno, chopped (use jarred, pickled jalapeno for less zing)
- 1 ounce chopped pimiento (optional)
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, crisply cooked (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn (for a less moist bread, substitute a can of fiesta corn)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Make sure eggs, buttermilk, and cheese are at room temperature.
- It helps to assemble all the ingredients before starting.
- Chop up the jalapenos and onion.
- Crumble the bacon into little pieces.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, eggs, and oil.
- Pour mixture into the dry ingredients' bowl with a few large spoon strokes.
- Just barely mix; do not beat.
- Fold in onion, garlic powder, jalapenos, pimento, bacon, corn, and cheese.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- It fills a 8 x 8 pan very thickly.
- Because this is a very moist cornbread, you may want to cook it a while longer to suit your tastes.