Recipe by Glutton
I made it tonight, and am eating it as I write. It is based on an old recipe a friend gave to me about a year ago. I love it, but watch the cooking time. The recipe I got from my friend required the oven be set at 450 degrees for about an hour. He had a gas stove; I have an electric one and it seems to cook a lot faster. Maybe you all can help me refine it.
- 2 lbs chicken parts (I use skinless thighs and breasts, dark meat adds flavor)
- 2 (12 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces of crushed cashews
- salt and pepper, to taste
- poultry seasoning, to taste
- basil, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak chicken in brine of white vinegar and sea salt for at least 45 minutes to an hour.
- For gas ovens, preheat to 425 degrees; electric, 350.
- Mix milk, broth, cream and dijon mustard for 3 minutes; place in 9x13 inch glass baking dish.
- Add uncooked rice and cashews to milk/soup/mustard mix; mix rice thoroughly with spoon or fork.
- Cover chicken with olive oil and seasonings; place in dish on top of rice/soup mixture.
- Cook for approximately one hour; you may have to check to make sure it doesn't overcook, especially with an electric oven.
- When done, take out of oven, let cool for ten minutes, and serve.