Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 hrs
Another way to try gluten.
- 2 cups raw gluten
- 3 tablespoons tamri soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- Shape gluten into a ball. Place it in a covered baking dish or slow cooker.
- Measure water into a mixing bowl. Stir in all remaining ingredients.
- Pour water over gluten.
- Bake, covered, in a 250 oven for 10 hours or over night. Cook in a slow cooker set on low for 16 hours.
- The long, slow cooking time permit’s the seasonings to penetrate the roast and gives a texture that enables the roast to be sliced very thin.
- Seitan roast makes excellent sandwich meat as well as pot roast.
i used my own unflavored raw gluten and halved the recipe. used a loaf pan covered with foil and added extra water to almost cover gluten so the top would cook. also used normal soy sauce as i was out of tamari. does taste a lot like beef roast, very tender. would be good for a holiday dinner. a bit salty for my taste, even with the extra water (almost all absorbed) so may reduce soy sauce a bit next time. going to go try it on a sandwich. strangely when i made this again as the full size, not halved, it didn't work well at all! the middle ended up rubbery and tasteless and i only ended up eating the outsides. will keep using the halved recipe from now on.