Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another way to try gluten.
Make and share this Gluten Mock Clams recipe from Food.com.
- Tear seaweed, if available, into 1-inch pieces. Place in a saucepan.
- Add water. Stir in malt, salt, oil and lemon juice.
- Break gluten into small clam-size pieces and set aside.
- Bring water mixture to a gentle boil. Drop the gluten pieces into boiling broth. The gluten will sink. As soon as they rise to the top of the liquid, remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- The seawheat will be cooked in about 3 minutes and will have the chewy texture of clams. If they have a spongy texture, the water has boiled too rapidly or the gluten has been cooked too long.
- Seawheat can be eaten immediately, dipped in sauce, or it can be breaded and deep-fried to resemble fried clams.