Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another way to try gluten.
- 2 cups raw gluten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons corn oil
- Divide raw gluten into 8 pieces. Using a meat mallet, pound these pieces into the shape of boneless chicken breasts.
- In a saucepan, combine water with all remaining ingredients to form a poultry-flavored broth.
- Add raw gluten pieces to broth. Cook gluten in broth over medium heat for 45 minutes without boiling. Slow cooking allows the poultry flavoring to penetrate the gluten. If the broth is allowed to boil, the texture of the poultry pieces will become spongy, but if cooked slowly, it will resemble chicken breasts.
- Poultry pieces are best when dipped in batter or flour and then fried in oil.
- However, they can be diced or chopped immediately for use in soups or salads.
- The poultry broth used in flavoring poultry pieces is an excellent base for soups and gravies.
- It can be stored in the refrigerator for a week or longer and used as needed.