Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These quick & easy buns are great in a time fix. Soft and very flavourful, they also work well when formed into breadsticks.
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon foccacia spices
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning
- 2 -3 tablespoons egg whites
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, Italian seasoning, Foccacia spices, and oregano.
- Add water and garlic, mix well.
- Spoon batter into a prepared roll pan.
- Sprinkle garlic salt and garlic & herb spice blend over the rolls.
- Bake in a preheated 350* F oven for 20 minutes.
- Quickly remove the rolls, brush with egg whites, and place back in oven.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack before serving.
Foccacia IS rather flat and doughier than regular bread - when sliced and toasted in the oven with toppings it is superb. If you want more colour on the top, use a whole egg wash on top. Wonderful recipe and I will be passing it on to my coeliac daughter and son - both good cooks.
I can give this five stars because it is a fantastic recipe IF you have a suitable gluten free flour blend and like Italian seasoning. So before you attempt to make this, please consider whether you like the seasoning and your flour qualifies as suitable. Which means that the flour blend must have thickeners like xanthan in it. I used Schaer Brot Mix B which contains xanthan, psyllium husks and methyl cellulose so the flour is nearly as sticky as normal wheat flour. This will not work if you just use a plain mix of rice flour and cornstarch!! If you make your own flour blend, please add xanthan or guar gum and ground chia seeds or psyllium husks to it, otherwise it will not work without egg.
I had no roll pans so just used muffin tins which worked great. The amounts of flour and water worked perfectly with my flour blend, only I had to remove the rolls from the tins after 15 minutes and bake them for another 10 minutes without tins.
Taste and texture are fantastic. Soft and very flavourful, I barely could stop eating them. This will be a keeper! Thanks for posting!
Made for Spring into Spring with Garlic and Soy of the Diabetic Forum.
These did not turn out for me. The rolls were very doughy and I did not like the taste of the Italian seasoning. Made for Healthy Choices ABC Tag.