Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This spicy, hearty and satisfying dish is one of my Cousin Linda's favorites, and even family members who don't have Wheat Gluten allergies LOVE this dish. I once made it three times over a 4-day period because it kept disappearing. If spicy foods bother you, adjust the amounts of salsa, green chili peppers and Jalapeno peppers to taste. Freezes very well.
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 (7 ounce) canmedium salsa (ethnic foods aisle in grocery store)
- 1 (7 ounce) candiced green chili peppers
- 1 (7 ounce) cansliced jalapeno peppers
- salt, to taste
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 4 medium tomatillos, cored and diced
- 3 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, with liquid
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In food processor, chop onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, jalapeños (can chop all together).
- Heat large skillet over medium heat, add oil, and contents of food processor and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken to pan and cook through.
- Add 1 1/2 cans beans with liquid, and food process remaining beans and add to pot.
- Stir well and add remaining ingredients.
- When pot comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Salt to taste.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.