Recipe by 148045
This spicy, hearty and satisfying dish is one of my Cousin Linda's favorites, and even family members who don't have Wheat Gluten allergies LOVE this dish. I once made it three times over a 4-day period because it kept disappearing. If spicy foods bother you, adjust the amounts of salsa, green chili peppers and Jalapeno peppers to taste. Freezes very well.
- 6 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 (7 ounce) canmedium salsa (ethnic foods aisle in grocery store)
- 1 (7 ounce) candiced green chili peppers
- 1 (7 ounce) cansliced jalapeno peppers
- salt, to taste
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 4 medium tomatillos, cored and diced
- 3 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, with liquid
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In food processor, chop onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, jalapeños (can chop all together).
- Heat large skillet over medium heat, add oil, and contents of food processor and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken to pan and cook through.
- Add 1 1/2 cans beans with liquid, and food process remaining beans and add to pot.
- Stir well and add remaining ingredients.
- When pot comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Salt to taste.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.