1/2 Photos of Gluten Free White Bread
2 hrs 15 mins
Catfish Charlie's Note:
The best tasting GF bread I've found yet, and the cheapest. The ingredients are the key to this bread, so try not to substitute. The flour mix is especially important, so if possible use gluten free flour Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Substitute (http://www.recipezaar.com/110497) to make the cheapest, best tasting gluten free bread you've ever tried. This recipe is adapted and modified from one by Bette Hagman. The biggest change to the original recipe is the flour mix used. Cooking time includes rising, baking, and cooling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (recommended recipe 110497)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 small eggs (or 1 egg plus one egg white, medium)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (or dough enhancer)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1Combine all dry ingredients except yeast. May be stored in this condition for months in a ziplock style bag.
- 2Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 3Grease 8 1/2 x 4 1/2" bread pan and flour with rice flour, or grease and flour muffin tins for buns.
- 4In heavy duty mixer, whisk eggs and vinegar (or dough enhancer), add butter. Add about 3/4 of the warm water.
- 5Combine yeast with the dry mix and slowly add to the wet ingredients with the mixer on low.
- 6The mixture should be like a very thick cake mix, add more of the warm water as needed.
- 7Turn mixer to high and beat for 4 minutes.
- 8Turn dough out into the pan for baking.
- 9Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place (on top of oven is usually a good place) until the dough has doubled in size.
- 10Bake in 400F oven for 50 to 60 minutes for loaf, 30 to 40 minutes for rolls. Cover with aluminum foil after 10 minutes for light crust on top, 20 minutes for medium crust on top.
- 11Remove from oven, allow to cool 20 minutes before cutting for best results.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.2
- Calories from Fat 382
- Total Fat 42.4 g
- Saturated Fat 24.3 g
- Cholesterol 374.3 mg
- Sodium 1596.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 25.5 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: