Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Waffles are easy to make using a waffle iron. A great addition to a gluten-free diet. They can be made sweet or savoury. Great for a dessert topped with ice-cream and pure maple syrup, or savoury with scrambled eggs. You can add in finely chopped herbs, spices, finely sliced ham , finely grated apple and cinnamon, lemon rind or zest to the batter for some variations, finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, a little seeded mustard--whatever you fancy really. NOTE: as with all gluten-free flour different blends can absorb more liquid. Add etra milk if required to make batter a spreading consistency. This batter should spread easily with a knife or spoon into your waffle maker. It's a thick batter but spreadable with a knife. My wafflemaker takes about 1/4 cup per waffle.
- 2 eggs
- 150 g flour (use a GF blend or blend the flours that you use)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 200 ml milk or 200 ml soymilk
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar (super-fine sugar)
- 65 ml olive oil
- Separate the eggs and beat the egg whites until stiff; set aside.
- Combine the flour and baking powder and then sift it into the milk.
- Add the sugar and oil to the flour mix. Whisk well to a smooth batter. Stir in the egg whites and continue to whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Preheat waffle iron. Lightly oil or use a spray oil. Cook each waffle 3-5 minutes until done.