Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This pie has a gluten free crust and is perfect for vegetarians. It is from Super Foods Ideas March 2002. The crust can be used as a base to other pies, quiches, and frittatas. I used zucchini, pumpkin, broccoli, capsicum for the vegetables in this dish.
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cups of chopped vegetables (zucchini, pumpkin, broccoli, capsicum)
- 20 g rice flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- salt & pepper
- 60 g reduced-fat cheese, grated
- Place rice and hot water in microwave and oven proof pie plate. Microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Use a fork to blend one egg, parsley, pepper into the rice. Press mixture against the sides of the pie plate.
- Arrange vegetables in the rice case. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Whisk remaining eggs into flour, one at a time until smooth. Add milk and seasonings. Pour mixture into rice crust and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake pie in a moderate oven (180°C) for 45 minutes until set. Serve warm or cool.
Loved this recipe. So easy to make, and so much you can do with it once you make it. Thanks!