Recipe by YummySmellsca
Rich, crispy chocolate-mint wafers are robed in minty chocolate for this Girl Guides-like treat that's 100% GF and vegan!
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup sorghum flour
- 1⁄4 cup millet flour
- 1⁄4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup arrowroot
- 7 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegan margarine, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soymilk or 3 tablespoons rice milk
- 5 tablespoons vodka
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, whisk together flours, starch, cocoa powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together margarine, shortening and sugars.
- Add soymilk, vodka and extracts. The mixture will look curdled.
- Gradually, add in the flour mixture until fully incorporated.
- Shape dough into two logs, about 1 1/2” in diameter, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 1-2 hours, until dough is very firm.
- Preheat oven to 375F, line baking sheets with parchment or silicone.
- Slice dough into rounds not more than 1/4” thick – otherwise they will not be crisp.
- Place on the sheets fairly close together – they don’t spread that much.
- Bake 14 – 15 minutes.
- Cool cookies completely on a wire rack before dipping in chocolate.
- Combine chocolate and shortening in a double boiler over simmering water.
- Melt until chocolate is smooth. Stir in the extract.
- Dip each cookie in melted chocolate and transfer to a wire rack set over a piece of wax paper to set up for at least 30 minutes – 1 hour.