Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from nourishingmeals.com These muffins are moist, soft and are just all around good! I have changed up this recipe many times adding yogurt, mashed banana, no sugar and using stevia, OJ, every time these muffins turn out excellent!
- 2 cups sorghum flour or 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 3⁄4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup, agave nectar or 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup oil or 1⁄2 cup melted virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel or 1 teaspoon orange, flavor
- 2 -3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- turbinado sugar, for topping each muffin (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper muffin cups.
- 2. In a large bowl combine the flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, sea salt, and cardamom. Mix well.
- 3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the juice, applesauce, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, and orange zest. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together well.
- 4. Quickly add the rhubarb and gently fold into the batter.
- 5. Spoon batter into oiled muffin tin, you will fill each cup to the top. Sprinkle each with a little turbinado sugar if desired. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 20 to 25 minutes. Loosen sides with a knife and gently take out of pan and place onto a wire rack to cool.