Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an adaptation of the Deceptively Delicious macaroni & cheese recipe. I have kids with gluten and dairy allergies. This is not cheap, as you use a cheese and cream cheese substitute, but it was good enough for my husband to like it! I have tried the nutritional yeast recipes and they didn't go over as well here. At 6 servings, the size is pretty generous, as it served my family of 5 with at least 2 servings left over. Cooking time does not include cooking the noodles, as that time can vary quite a bit.
- 4 cups gluten-free pasta, cooked (Tinkyada brand is great)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour (I use sorghum or buckwheat)
- 1⁄2 cup rice milk
- 1⁄2 cup butternut squash or 1⁄2 cup yam, pureed
- 1 (10 ounce) package soy cheddar cheese, cut into 1-inch chunks (Follow Your Heart brand)
- 4 ounces tofutti better-than-cream-cheese (non-hydrogenated, in the yellow pkg)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the flour, stirring until thick paste.
- Gradually add the rice milk, and cook, stirring every now and then, until the mixture begins to thicken, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir, until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Stir in the cooked noodles and serve warm.