Recipe by robinmreed
This bread is gluten free, vegan (no eggs or dairy), and allergy friendly (no corn, soy, or peanuts, and tree nuts are optional). I created this one after much experimentation with gluten free flours and I like this combination the best. Either flour can be substituted for an equivalent amount of teff flour or sorghum flour and it still comes out fine. This also makes excellent muffins, baked for 25-30 minutes at 375F.
Top Review by dragonflame08
I made this recipe exactly as written(no nuts), it only took 45 mins to bake, and the consistency was very good. The bread held together very well, and the only thing i would change is possibly adding a half a cup of sugar instead of a 1/3 cup, because it wasn't quite sweet enough (possibly my bananas weren't ripe enough??) but I would suggest this recipe as it was very good.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups millet flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon guar gum or 1⁄2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, ripe, mashed
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups rice milk or 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rice flour, millet flour, sugar, flax seed, cinnamon, baking powder, guar gum, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in bananas and water or milk. Stir well with a spoon, or beat with a mixer for a minute or so.
- Pour into a greased 8 x 8 square pan or a loaf pan, and bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Allow to cool in pan.
- Cut into squares (like cornbread) if made in the square pan, or slice into slices, when cool.