Recipe by Jill Johnston
This is a great gluten-free recipe that can be used for any recipe that calls for vanilla wafers, like rum balls. It is a modified version of a recipe by Bette Hagman.
Top Review by Deb in TX
Great little cookie! My pregnant daughter who can't eat gluten or sugar (or dairy!) is craving banana pudding, so this is the first stage in creating a gluten-free, non-dairy, non-sugar, no artificial sweeteners banana pudding for her. I used coconut flour in place of soy flour, and 1/2 cup agave nectar + 1/4 cup honey in place of the sugar. Increased vanilla to 1 tablespoon and added 1/8 tsp lemon extract. Yumm...
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup soy flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the first 5 ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Cream together the margarine, sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Mix til it looks like pastry dough.
- Add water if necessary.
- Shape into 1 inch balls and place 3 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten with a moistened fork to 1/8 inch thick.
- Bake at 375ºF for 6 to 10 min or until slightly browned.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies.