Recipe by **Tinkerbell**
A moist and delicious banana bread for those unable to eat wheat gluten. It's a variation on GinnyP's Gluten-Free Banana Bread, which was pretty good, but lacked any type of flour. The coconut flour I've added in this version adds a little more depth to the flavor, as well as consistency in the batter. As with all gluten free breads, it's best when fresh, but by tightly wrapping the bread as soon as it cools, it stayed moist for several days.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
This bread was cooling on the wire rack when my son & his wife were here for breakfast last week, so there was no problem with anything drying out ~ What wasn't eaten then was halved between our 2 homes! None of us needed the bread to be gluten-free, but knowing that I can make it for company (AND that they liked it) was good enough for me! Just one more recipe for me to keep hold of for when I DO need to make something like this! I love coconut, so the subtle taste of that coming through was very nice! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Cookbook recipe tag]
- 2 bananas, slightly over-ripe
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used my homemade gluten free vanilla, Homemade Vanilla)
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 9x4 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, with a hand mixer, mash bananas. Add egg, brown sugar, oil, milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- In small bowl, sift together potato starch, cornstarch, coconut flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, coriander and salt. (Sifting will better distribute the baking powder to avoid areas of bitterness.).
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, smoothing as much as possible, to ensure a uniform top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Slice and enjoy immediately. Wrap any leftovers tightly in plastic wrap to prevent drying out.