Prep1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe I adapted from Taste of Home to be gluten free. Very, very good. They almost remind me of tiny danishes. :) Prep time includes refrigerator time of 1 hour. For more step by step photos, see: http://crystalstair.wordpress.com/2008/11/18/recipe-gluten-free-thumbprint-cookies/
- Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Mix well. Add gum, flours and starches, mix well. If you were inclined to dye these, now would be the time.
- Put your concoction into the fridge for about an hour. DO NOT FREEZE! It will make your life difficult and your cookies deformed.
- Pull off pieces of dough and form into 1 inch balls. Work it like a meatball and space out on an ungreased cookie sheet. Form a depression in the middle with your fingers or some sort of kitchen implement like a spoon. I use my fingers, they're easier to clean.
- Fill said depression with jelly or jam of your choice, just enough that you make a jam puddle. These won't rise, but they will spread a little, so try to keep it all inside the pool.
- Insert filled cookies into a 350 F oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the bottom just starts to brown. Let rest on cookie sheet 5-10 minutes or until form is set, then move to a cooling rack to finish.