Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
After almost 20 years without sweet & sour chicken balls, I had a eureka moment. I was cooking pancakes, when it dawned on me that the batter was almost thick enough for deep frying, and it browned nicely. All the other recipes I'd tried refused to brown. This batter fries up light and crispy.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix liquid ingredients in separate bowl.
- Combine dry and liquid ingredients and mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- For chicken balls, dip 1/2" cubes of pre-cooked chicken in batter.
- Drop battered chicken balls into deep fryer preheated to 375°F.
- Cook until golden brown.
- As you are cooking the chicken balls, occasionally skim the stray bits of crisp batter from the oil. They make a wonderful crispy accent to a salad.