Recipe by Whole Life Nutrition
This vegan gluten-free banana bread recipe is made with super nutritious teff flour and sorghum flour. If you don't have those flours on hand you can replace them with brown rice flour, though the bread won't be as flavorful. This recipe comes from www.glutenfreewholefoods.blogspot.com which is a modified version of the Banana Walnut Muffin from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sorghum flour
- 1 cup dark brown teff flour
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour
- 1⁄2 cup maple sugar or 1⁄2 cup organic unbleached cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas, about 4 large
- 1 cup vanilla hemp milk, almond milk or 1 cup rice milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted virgin coconut oil or 1⁄4 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip, Enjoy Life brand (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil 4 mini-loaf pans or 1 muffin tin.
- In a large bowl combine the flours, tapioca flour, sugar, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt. Mix well.
- Place the bananas into a 4-cup glass measuring cup and mash with a fork; it should equal approximately 2 cups. Mash more if needed to get at least 2 cups. Add the milk to the mashed bananas and whisk it together with the oil and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix together being careful not to over mix. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into oiled pans, gently rounding the tops with the back of a spoon into a loaf shape. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 to 35 minutes (20 to 25 mins for muffins). Loosen sides with a knife and gently take out of pans and place onto a wire rack to cool.