Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another Sally Wise Recipe. For a lactose free cake she suggest substituting hot water for the hot milk. As a variation, you can use lemon curd in place of the berry jam
- heat oven to 180°C Greas a 25cm x 30cm Swiss Roll tin'Line the base of the tin with baking paper and grease the paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until pale and thick.
- Lightly fold in the flour.
- Drizzle the milk down the inside of the bowl and lightly fold through.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake 10 - 12 minutes, or until golden and a metal skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Place a piece of baking paper on a board that is slightly larger than the Swiss Roll tin being used. Spread over it the extra 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Turn the cake out, onto the paper. Peel off the original baking paper and discard the original paper. Roll up the cake with the new layer of baking paper.
- Cover the cake loosely with a clean tea-towel and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Gentley unroll the cake, discard the baking paper, spread over the jam and roll back up again.
- Sift the icing sugar over the top and serve.